Kings Bay Y
Cooking Specialists will cook/bake with campers ranging from 4 to 13 years of age. Cooking specialists must be confident in the kitchen and able to guide children through the recipe and nutrition-focused educational activities. Time management and organization are key requirements for this position since time and space are limited in a camp setting. It is important to understand the high responsibility of this role because of King Bay YM-YWHA/JCC Brooklyn Camp’s long successful history and the trust the surrounding community puts into the camp to provide their children with a fun, safe, and engaging environment. We are looking for individuals who have a lot of energy, enthusiasm, and love working with children and their families!
Responsibilities (but not limited to):
- Create a 9-week curriculum for 3 age groups (4-6, 7-9, 10-13)
- Build lesson plans for teaching how to follow a recipe, use utensils, execute the recipe, and kitchen safety and nutrition.
- Create a budget for cooking supplies
- Prep each lesson
- Build a take-home recipe box for campers to take home at the end of their camp enrollment
- Lead students through their recipe
- Classroom preparation and clean up
- Build campers passion and appreciation for cooking/baking for diverse cultural recipes
- Training/certification and/or experience in leading a cooking/baking activity. At at least one year of successful, related teaching experience.
- Desire and ability to supervise, lead, and positively manage campers and work with other staff in a cooperative, team-oriented camp atmosphere.
- Knowledge and skills in your assigned area and the ability to teach these skills to campers and staff.
- Strong communication skills.
- Possess excellent character, integrity, adaptability, patience, self-control, enthusiasm, and a sense of humor.
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
Summer salary: Seasonal contract based on experience
- Hired mid-Spring
- Spring: Attend mandatory staff training and complete online trainings
- Summer: 8:15AM – 4:30PM (General Hours) for 8-9 weeks/ June 28, 2022 to Aug 26, 2022