Kings Bay Y
Camp Director – JCC Brooklyn
Brooklyn, NY, US
JCC Brooklyn Summer Day Camps provide a safe and exciting environment where children can build lifelong friendships and unforgettable experiences that will last a lifetime. We believe that the summer camp experience should be fun and informative, exciting and supportive, and challenging and rewarding. Campers travel to the beautiful, gated 177-acre outdoor facilities on a country-like campus in Bay Ridge featuring green grass fields, an outdoor pool, a private eight-lane bowling alley, a movie theater, basketball courts, an arcade, and a cafe on site.
Camp directors perform the planning and day-to-day administration of day camps or residential recreation programs. They design camp curricula, oversee camp employees and campers, and monitor expenses. Their duties also include hiring and training camp staff members.
Essential Duties And Responsibilities
- Manage an outdoor summer day camp program that serves over 600 campers.
- Efficiently manage resources, including budgets, staff, and facilities, to optimize the overall camp experience. Explore cost-effective solutions and alternative resources to enhance offerings.
- Foster strong relationships with campers, parents, and the broader community. Utilize creative approaches to involve families and local businesses in supporting camp initiatives.
- Explore and incorporate technology solutions to enhance camp operations, communication, and program delivery. Leverage online platforms and digital tools to streamline processes and engage campers in new and exciting ways.
- Create an inclusive and welcoming camp environment that celebrates diversity. Implement strategies to ensure all campers feel valued and included, incorporating activities that appeal to a wide range of backgrounds and interests.
- Regularly assess and evaluate camp programs and operations, seeking feedback from campers, parents, and staff. Use this information to drive continuous improvement and ensure the camp remains dynamic and responsive to evolving needs.
- Lead the staff hiring process and ensure quality supervisors, specialists, and counselors are hired.
Coordinate staff training and evaluation.
- Liaise with campgrounds administrators to ensure camp readiness, safety, and smooth operations.
- Effectively promote camp to the community to drive enrollment year-round.
- Ensure all program policies and procedures are adhered to and updated when needed.
- Organize special events for Camp families and the community.
- Ensure compliance with funding and Department of Health requirements.
- Work with the marketing team year-round to develop advertising materials for all programs.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- At least 3-5 years of experience successfully managing day camp programs.
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field is Required.
- Strong work ethic, professionalism, and good judgment.
- Very organized, self-motivated, and able to meet deadlines.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Complete DOH background clearance.
- Availability to work evenings and weekends as needed
Full-time, 8-hour shift
$55,000.00 – $65,000.00